Feel the sand wiggles between your toes. The warm sun on your skin and the waves crashing against the shore. Can you picture it? It is so relaxing except for the fact that you are at a wedding ceremony and you are sweating more than the husky woman in the last row of a Richard Simmons exercise video because you have overdressed for the occasion.
For most occasions it is often better to err on the side of being overdressed rather than underdressed. However a beach is the one place where it is glaring obvious if you have grossly misjudged the expected dress attire. So here are some tips on what to wear to a beach wedding:
- Regardless of the time of year, any wedding is an occasion to get dressed up, so you want to always dress nice. If there was ever a time to put on a dress, this is it. You can transform almost any summer dress into proper summer wedding attire by swapping out your flip-flops for heels and adding a cardigan, shawl, collarless blazer, or bolero jacket to the outfit.
- If the wedding is during the evening, then determining what to wear to a summer wedding will require a slightly more formal look. You may be able to get away with the same summer dress, but you will want to dress it up with more dramatic accessories such as a chandelier earrings or a large cocktail ring and swap out your regular handbag for an evening clutch. Additionally, you may want to wear darker colors. For a day wedding, you may wear a pale blue. However, in the evening a bright blue or midnight blue might be more appropriate.
- For those of you who prefer to wear to wear separates, you can wear a simple tank top or shell with a skirt and it will provide almost the same look as a dress. This is a great option for someone whose body is not proportional. If you are pear shaped, meaning the lower half of your body is wider than the upper part of your body, (Can I get a “Hallelujah” from the pear shape women congregation?), then separates may be the way to go. This is also great for women with an upside down pear body shape, meaning the upper half of your body is wider than the lower half of your body (Can I get an “Amen” from the women in the upside down pear shape congregation?). If you fit into one of those two body shapes, wear the darker color on your problem area.
- In figuring out what to wear to a summer wedding, remember:
• A dress is always best.
• If you can’t do a dress, try body shape appropriate separates.
• Choose colors appropriate for the time of day.
• Carefully consider your outerwear for the event.
• Accessorize properly.
If you can remember these tips, you will be cool, calm, chic, and collected at your next summer wedding event. Now all you do to is practice saying, “I know it is your big day, but…”, and dodge the Chiavari chair that will subsequently be hurled at your head by the blushing bride.
Just the right touch of fabulous. Go from Frumpy to Fabulous in 5 Days. Sign up at www.StyleRescuePlan.com