The upside of being a wedding guest is that you will not be required to wear a butt-ugly bridesmaid dress during the nuptials. The downside is now that you have to figure out what to wear to the wedding, that taffeta tooth fairy-looking bridesmaid dress is not looking so bad after all. Before you call your cousin, begging to be a bridesmaid, here are 16 dresses to wear to a wedding.
1. A simple, solid-color sheath dress.
A sheath dress is a close-fitting dress with a hemline at the lower thighs or at your knees. Choose a solid color that is appropriate for the time of year. For spring, think pastels, and for fall, think fall leaves.
2. A wrap dress. A simple wrap dress is easy to pack and easy to wear. This option can work year round.
3. A swing dress in a soft color. A swing dress is a flowy dress that still maintains an A-line shape. This is a great option for spring and summer. Get it in a soft color, like gray, pale pink, butter yellow, light blue, or mint green.
4. A crepe dress. Crepe is a lightweight fabric of silk, cotton, or other fiber with a finely crinkled or ridged surface.
5. A dark-colored, body-conscious dress. A body-conscious dress is very form fitting. To play down the potential sexiness of this dress, wear it in dark or neutral colors.
6. A conservative pencil dress. Just like the infamous pencil skirt, this dress is a little form fitting. Get a conservative pencil dress that you can also wear to work. Dress it up by pairing it with fabulous accessories.
7. An Elvira-style black dress. This is for your goth ex-roommate that is getting married on Halloween. How original? A goth wedding on Halloween. The upside is that you don’t have to buy a Halloween costume next year.
8. A pleated maxi dress. The long dress adds some formality while the pleats add a little class.
9. A tea-length dress. A tea-length dress harkens back to previous eras. It is now classic and romantic. Get a tea-length dress in a girly color or print to play up this very feminine and romantic hemline.
10. One-shoulder dress. A one-shoulder dress is elegant, not sexy, and perfect wedding attire.
11. A lace dress in any color other than tan or white. White lace is reserved for the bride and wedding party, but a lace dress of any other color is perfectly at home at any wedding event.
12. A dress suit. This is a suit that has a dress with a matching jacket. This is a very conservative look, but the color and fabric can make it more appropriate for weddings.
13. Sequin dress. This is perfect for a late-night drive-thru wedding in Vegas. You are out clubbing, and your friend met the guy of her dreams. You’ll stand out in the drunken photos of this wedding event.
14. Asymmetrical hemline dress. This dress says that you like t be a little different yet trendy, and a flowy dress with an asymmetrical hemline says just that.
15. Kimono-inspired dress. This is a great belted look that is figure flattering, whether in a solid color or an interesting print.
16. A long white dress in lace, silk, or satin. This is the ultimate dress to wear to an enemy’s wedding because you are trying to steal her thunder. Wearing a dress like this to the ceremony will be a gigantic thunderclap. Perhaps she should have thought of that before she crossed you!