You have to go give a talk that you have given many times before. You have your notes, you have your outfit picked out, and you think, “I’m soooo bored with this.” You may need to bring some oomph to your wardrobe and your personal shopper for speaking engagements.
The first thing to know is that you don’t want to step on stage looking like everyone else, and you also don’t want to sound like everyone else. You want to walk up to the podium and have everyone stop what they are doing to look at you and listen to what you have to say.
While providing an in-depth course on the fundamentals of public speaking is beyond the scope of this website, I can share with you some ways to add some oomph to your presentation by adding some oomph to your outfit. You may already have some of these items in your wardrobe. For other items, you may have to become a personal shopper for speaking engagements and think like a stylist when shopping for these pieces.
Accessories are an easy way to add some oomph. You can add:
- A colorful infinity scarf for a pop of color
- A brooch to add a touch of class and oomph
- A statement necklace to make a statement when you step up to the podium
Shoes are also a great way to add some oomph, especially if the audience is mostly women, because they will compliment you on your shoes all day long. You can add:
- A pop of color with colorful high heels
- Personality with a print high heel
- Attitude with a pair of shoes that have hardware, such as studs, buckles, or chains
- A pair of boots (Professional speakers often forget that boots are also options to wear for speaking engagements.)
Use eye-catching fabrics. If you want to catch and keep the eye, some bold prints can add the needed oomph to your on-stage presence. You can add:
- A floral print to help you to stand out from the crowd
- Color block pattern to create a very modern look
- An animal print to add some ferocity and oomph to any speaking engagement look
You’ll also want clothes with little details that other shoppers overlook. You can shop for:
- Pieces with standout details, such as gold buttons
- Pieces with piping details
If you add any of these items to your speaking engagement outfit, you will be bringing the oomph and you can become your best personal shopper for speaking engagements. You now have twelve ways get more oomph in your speaking engagement wardrobe.