You have a lavender oil diffuser, ZzzQuil, and Sleepytime tea to help you fall asleep, but have you ever thought about changing your pajamas? Your pajamas could actually be hurting your sleep.
Below are seven ways that your choice of what to wear to sleep might be affecting your sleep and what you can do to improve your sleep habits.
- You are too warm. Evidence shows a cooler environment could yield better, longer, and deeper sleep. If you are wearing your sweats, yoga pants, and leggings to bed, it could be making you too warm. You may want to experiment with different fabrics and see what is best for you and your sleep temperature.
- Your brain may need sleep triggers. This is discussed in Arianna Huffington’s book, The Sleep Revolution. If you are wearing your exercise clothes to bed, your brain receives the message that it is time to work out, which is the exact opposite of bedtime. Having real pajamas that are only used for sleep helps to get your mind into sleep mode.
- We know that the release of dopamine can create a euphoric feeling to help with sleep. If you are dressed like the bird bag lady from Mary Poppins to go to bed, it may not be helping your chances of sexy time right before bed. You can experiment with wearing fun and sexy pajamas and see if that gets the engine revved up.
- You might need additional accessories to help with sleep. Research has also shown that a dark room can help with better sleep. If you don’t have the funds for blackout curtains or an underground bunker, you can get a sleep mask. (I browsed Etsy and found some really cute styles of eye masks.) This may become your go-to accessory for what to wear to sleep.
- Do you have cold feet? I know I sometimes experience that. You can get some funny socks that are only for bedtime or some adult footie pajamas.
- Do you dress like Ebenezer Scrooge to go to bed? Yes, that style is vintage and romantic and makes you feel like a vampire (What? That’s only me?), but it may cause you to get tangled during the night and restrict movement. This is a not big impediment to sleep. However, if you frequently have dreams about being stuck in a spider web, you may want to change your sleep attire.
- Cleanliness is next to godly sleep. Do you sleep better on a bed with clean sheets? Isn’t that one of the things we love about sleeping in hotels? Well, you might also like sleeping in clean pajamas. Some people who shall remain nameless wear the same pajamas too many days in a row. If you wake up in the middle of the night thinking your dirty pajamas standing up on their own are a ghost, you might want to wash them more frequently because the answer to what to wear to sleep is CLEAN pajamas.